With over 10,000 installs, our secondary containment systems have become the accepted full oil containment solution for SPCC-compliant secondary containment by professional engineers across the nation.
Barrier Boom – Secondary Oil Containment System
Barrier Boom containment system is a proven full secondary containment solution for sites with impervious subsoils such as clay. It is designed to allow the flow of nuisance water during normal rainfall and snow melt events, but becomes an oil containment barrier to prevent hydrocarbon migration in the event of an oil release. This containment system relies on gravity (head pressure).
- SPCC compliant secondary containment as stated in CFR 40 112.7.
- Oil containment system for pad-mounted transformers in substations, solar and wind farms.
- Oil-filled equipment storage areas.
- Bulk fuel and oil storage areas.
- Can be used with a liner.
- Meets the requirements of Secondary Containment for EPA SPCC 40 CFR 112.7, U.S.D.A. Bulletin 1724E-302, Chapter 3-3.2.2 and 3.2.3, and IEEE Std. 980.
- Custom designed to site specifics and PE-approved for full secondary containment.
- Easy to install to grade or dike; usually in one day with equipment fully energized.
- No special tools needed.
- Little or no maintenance required depending on type of install.
- Eliminates the need of concrete walls, sump pumps, oil-water separators, pits, manual valves, and hydrocarbon detectors.
- Estimated flow rate of up to 5 GMP per ft2 material with 1 foot head pressure.
- Hydrocarbon flow rate of 0 GPM for 110% oil spill containment.
- Solidifies approximately a half gallon of oil per ft2 depending on oil type, viscosity, and temperature.
- Service life of installed product: the life of the equipment it protects.
- UV resistance of 70% (typically covered with clean, washed stone).
- Oxidation resistance of 80%.
- Contains 12 to 16 oz. of loose oil solidifying polymers per ft2.
Geomembrane Liner with Barrier Boom Containment System
Use the Geomembrane Liner with Barrier Boom solution in sandy or undetermined subsoils. This containment system allows storm water to flow through the Barrier Boom panel side walls while removing hydrocarbons. In the event of a large spill, the Barrier Boom panels completely solidify and contain the oil, keeping it from escaping off site.
- Passive, self-activating secondary containment system best suited for containment around the transformer, rather than the perimeter of the substation
- Perfect solution for transformers (live and spare), tank storage, wind farms and solar fields
- For a smaller footprint, use corrugated HDPE pipe with the containment system to increase the void space
- Use geomembrane liner to line chipped or cracked concrete containment
- A bury and forget application
- Easy to install to grade or dike; usually in one day with equipment fully energized
- Cost-effective secondary spill containment system
- Geomembrane liners are pre-fabricated at the factory and assembled on site
- Geomembrane liners will not drip or leach out
- Little or no maintenance required depending on type of install
- Eliminates the need of concrete walls, sump pumps, oil-water separators, pits, manual valves, and hydrocarbon detectors
- Base of the liner composed of 22 or 40 oz. polyvinyl with pre-formed corners for height consistency
- Barrier Boom panels are pre-bonded to the liner
- Service life of installed product: the life of the equipment it protects
PolySeam® Barrier Boom Oil Filtration Panels Passive Drainage System
Use BCI’s exclusive patented PolySeam® Barrier Boom Passive Drainage System as a fast and cost-effective alternative to traditional batten bar liner attachment. When used in conjunction with our Ethylene Polymer PVC with Elvaloy® Technology Geomembrane or HDPE Containment Liners, the PolySeam spray coating liner system replaces the maintenance and repairs needed to maintain integrity of the batten bar method of attachment—for a virtually maintenance-free system! Rain and runoff water flow through the Barrier Boom panels in the liner. In the event of an oil release, the polymers in the Barrier Boom become an impervious barrier to prevent hydrocarbons from migrating outside of the containment area.
- SPCC-compliant spray liner and containment solution, suitable for electric substations, petroleum refineries, tank farms and may other industrial applications
- Sections seamed into place using traditional welding methods
- Once liner transition strip is in place, the existing containment liner system is attached to the containment penetrations, using our spray applied coating
Note: All bonding surfaces will need to be cleaned, potentially blasted and primed prior to application
- Fast installation – even in extreme conditions
- More durable than containment liners alone
- Little or no maintenance required
- Eliminates leak points created by batten bar attachment
- Easy to attach, no matter what type substrate or shape of penetration
- Barrier Boom panels are pre-bonded to the liner
Service life of installed product: the life of the equipment it protects
Ethylene Polymer PVC with Elvaloy® provides maximum protection to high temperatures and a broad range of chemicals including acids, oils and methane
Oil Solidifying Polymers
Hydrocarbon / Oil Spill Containment and Cleanup Technology
Oil Solidifying Polymers (previously known as C.I.Agent®*) represent the core technology used in our patented oil containment systems, including Barrier Boom, the HFF Oil Stop Valve, and the VIPOR systems. This environmentally-friendly, proprietary blend of polymers provides the passive oil filtration within our self-activating containment systems, solidifying all hydrocarbons upon contact.
*C.I.Agent® is listed on the EPA National Contingency Plan Product Schedule as a “Solidifier” for use on oil spills in the navigable waters of the United States.